Building wealth takes time and effort. There’s no replacement for putting in hard work day-in and day-out. Getting rich from nothing is possible with a game plan and the motivation to get it done. You might struggle throughout the process, but dedication to your goals will take you far. The patience to see it through is often what separates those who think they want to get rich from nothing and those that will.
Our guide includes ways you can get rich from nothing, as well as actions you should take after you do get rich. There’s no one formula that fits all when it comes to getting rich, but if you take these steps we’ve outlined below, you’ll be on the right track to achieve financial independence and success. Who knows, it might be easier than you think and potentially even more rewarding.
If you’re ready to get rich from nothing at all, keep reading. We’ve got the resources you need and the strategy you’ll come to rely on to make money and potentially be even more successful than you thought. Your future awaits.
When talking about personal finances and the rich, many people mention “net worth.” This figure is meant to be a sum of the assets a person has, from their salary and additional income to any investments they may have. Generally speaking, the higher someone’s net worth is, the more valuable assets they have at their disposal.
You can track your net worth with a variety of apps. Net worth will vary by age, profession, gender, and any other defining characteristic. While you may want to strive for a higher net worth as an individual, sometimes it takes looking more at the big picture than anything else.
For example, the net worth of many financially successful people can fluctuate depending on a number of circumstances. Stocks dropping in price may decrease a person’s net worth, but on the other hand, so could a smaller income. Net worth can also change as assets are bought and sold.
Some of us equate a higher net worth with the term “rich.” While this might be how magazines and websites rank the biggest household names in a variety of industries, it’s not necessarily a concrete definition. You can define being “rich” however you want to.
For example, many people consider freedom from their mortgage to be a sign that they are rich. The less financial commitments you have, the more freedom you have to exercise in terms of spending money. Some people translate being rich to living below their means with room to spare. Never mind the big houses, fancy cars, or extravagant outfits.
The average consumer can get rich from nothing with the right mindset. You can increase your worth to set yourself up for further success down the road and up your net worth numbers. It all depends on how you define “rich.” For the purposes of this article, we’ll be using it to mean financial stability to the point where your wealth is growing on a consistent basis.
Now that you’ve got a better idea of what “rich” means, let’s take a closer look at how you can get rich from nothing.
Assess Your Situation
The first step in your journey towards getting rich from nothing is to assess your situation. You’ll want to take inventory in order to understand where you're at so you can better figure out where you’re going to go. Establishing a home base is first and foremost in the process of getting rich from nothing.
Here are ways you can assess your financial situation:
- Take a financial inventory: Write down everything you own, plus what you owe. This can be anything from checking and savings accounts to stocks and other investment assets.
- Track your expenses: Knowing what your money looks like is much different than understanding where it’s all going. In order to find out how much you’re really spending, keep a track of your expenses. You’ll refer to this later, so keep it handy.
- Find out your net worth: This step is something you should do in order to determine how you fare overall. While negative numbers are common these days, it’s nothing to be super worried about. A negative net worth just means you’ve got some catching up on debts to do.
- Identify areas of improvement: Speaking of those debts, they should be pulled from your inventory in order to see where you can improve. For example, if you pay off your car loan, you could be taking that $300 payment and instead putting it towards your credit card debt. Remember that these are areas of improvement and you shouldn’t judge yourself. Taking this first step is a great way to plan for your future, no matter what it holds in store.
- Determine a support system: Obtain a cheering section as fast as you can. These folks won’t let you down and will support you in your journey to achieve financial success. Your support system doesn’t have to be big or even vocal, just as long as they keep you on track.
This final step is crucial in making your plan to get rich from nothing stick. If you don’t have a support system, achieving your goals can be much harder, especially on those days when you just want to give up and throw in the towel.
You’ve got your bearings now, so it’s time to start figuring out where you’re headed. That’s why we’ve called this step “Strategize.”
When you strategize for getting rich off very little, you’ll want to consider both short- and long-term goals. Writing these down is the first step in the right direction when it comes to strategizing how you’re going to make it rich off nothing. Your goals will act as achievements that spur you further and give you the motivation to achieve that feeling once more.
Financial inventories are good, but budgets are better. Figure out how you want to spend (less) money within the next month. Be specific. Write down what goals you want to accomplish, especially when it comes to savings. Knowing how much you want to save can help fill in the blanks between bills and desires.
You’ve probably heard a lot of experts say “do the math.” But what does this really mean? When you do the math on your financial inventory, you should pay attention to how little steps here and there can lead to a huge step forward in terms of financial success. For example, saving $25 per month might seem like a drop in the bucket, but by the end of 12 months, you’ll have $300 saved up. Do the math on your small actions to get rich from nothing.
The biggest obstacle you might face with getting rich from nothing is achieving the right mindset. If you want to gain control over your money, part of that means controlling your head as much as your wallet. Yes, we’re talking about impulse buys and spending without thinking.
For instance, many financially successful people think about money in such a way as to consider themselves broke. If you constantly think, “No, I can’t afford that right now,” you can curb that impulse to buy and save that money, rather than spend it. This can also mean taking advantage of coupons and discounts, even if you can afford to purchase an item without such breaks.
The basic money mindset that will get you rich from nothing is: live below your means. Don’t spend any more than you have coming in each month, even if you have the credit available to do so. Lower expenses can lead to savings, which are one of the best ways to get rid of high-interest debt.
In order to live within their means, many people automate their savings. You should also become a savvy shopper, frugal yet deliberate in what you buy. Be creative about solutions, especially when it comes to spending large amounts of money.
You can also research money management techniques to see how other people are getting rich from nothing. Seek financial help for your future goals, no matter if they’re short- or long-term. The help you receive can also serve to boost your motivation and point you even further along the best path towards getting rich from nothing.
There are many ways to implement the strategies you came up with in your planning stages in order to get rich from nothing. Each act of implementing your plan is its own source of progress, so don’t be afraid to recognize the small steps when it comes to gaining financial independence. Each act builds on the next to spur you forward.
Here are ways you can implement strategies for getting rich from nothing:
- Boost your income with a raise
- Find a new, higher-paying job
- Take on a second job
- Become your own boss
- Consider a new and/or multiple streams of income
- Invest in diverse opportunities
- Stay accountable with your support system
- Maintain a “broke” mentality
- Say “no” to impulse buys
- Invest in yourself by growing your knowledge
- Become a savvy shopper
As you implement the strategies you established, keep track of your progress. It’s important to celebrate your wins and recognize that with each accomplishment, you’re getting closer to your goals of getting rich. Coming from nothing, that’s a pretty respectable and amazing accomplishment.
- Mutual funds
- Dividend stocks
- Real estate
- Peer-to-peer lending
- Rental property
- Index funds
- Commercial/apartment buildings
Risk separates a lot of the investment opportunities above. Consider how much risk you’re willing to take before you invest even a penny.
With the guided plan above, you should have no problem getting rich from nothing. However, here are some other tips on how you can get rich, especially if you come from nothing:
- Utilize free money sources, such as Swagbucks
- Make money with apps like Shopkick
- Generate passive income by wrapping your car with Wrapify
- Flip iPhones for side money
- Invest in alternative sources like cryptocurrency
- Save on new clothes by finding free clothes
- Pay off student loan debt with a game plan
- Open an online business
- Involve your family in your financial get-rich-from-nothing plan
- Get cashback for receipts from Ibotta
- Make $200 quickly with DoorDash
- Use Upside to get money back from paying for gas
- Negotiate your bills with Rocket Money
- Flip your unwanted possessions with Decluttr
- Capitalize on clearance sales with retail arbitrage
The road to getting rich from nothing is built on small steps that build up to larger measures of progress. Keep your head down and eyes focused on your goals and with each goal you achieve along the way, you’ll be closer to obtaining that “rich” status. Pretty soon, you’ll look up and find you’re already there.
We hope you’ve found this article on getting rich from nothing useful in your journey to financial stability and success. Getting rich is something many people dream of, typically alongside winning the lottery and getting to meet their favorite celebrity. But getting rich from nothing at all is much easier than you think, with greater consequences than simply monetary surplus.
Once you achieve “rich” status, the world is yours for the taking.