Cryptocurrency has been dominating headlines in recent months, with Bitcoin topping $28K for the 1st time, accompanied by seemingly thousands of articles proclaiming it to be a financial revolution or nothing more than a short-lived fad.
In reality, cryptocurrency has been gaining traction for years, especially as more Millennials are drawn to the appealing concept of decentralized, digital currency.
If you want a simple and easy to follow bitcoin for dummies explanation, how you can get bitcoins and how it bitcoins can help you, without floundering into technical details, this bitcoin for dummies guide is for you.
10 years ago if someone told you about digital money, you would look at them so confused. Imagine a new currency where you can only use it online, store it online and it was completely intangible.
Well 10 years ago it was in the process of becoming a thing and in 2008 it made its debut. The first digital currency is Bitcoin. This bitcoin for dummies guide will explain how the system works and how you can make your first bitcoin investment. It will also direct you to resources that will help you store and use your first pieces of digital currency.
Want Free Money?
- Aspiration: Want to get spotted a $150 for free? Simply sign up for Aspiration, and the free banking app will give you cash for free, you just relax while it gives you $150 just for opening a new debit card. There’s no catch. This bank account is legit and only takes two minutes to sign up for an account.
Bitcoin for Dummies: What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency that is open source and created for peer to peer money transfers. Imagine Paypal or Venmo without a central authority. No one to tell you what to pay, how to buy, when to buy with no worries of a huge fee.
Now imagine all your transactions becoming open to the public eye through pseudonymity. Bitcoin was created to combat the financial crisis that happened as the banks had too much power.
Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin created it to give the people the power of their money. No need for banks to hold your money. You hold your money in your own wallet.
Your wallet can consist of a paper wallet with just your Bitcoin hash address, a mobile/computer wallet or a cryptocurrency hardware wallet.
- Quick: One major advantage of cryptocurrencies, in general, is that they are quick. If you buy something, the seller will get their coins pretty quickly. If you purchase with a Visa, they need to wait for the transaction to be accepted, then settle then go to your bank account in 3 days.
- Cheaper Transactions: Paypal and payment processors generally charge 3-4% of the fees and charge that from the seller. In this case, the buyer is paying the fees but it amounts to fractions of a percent.
- Paperless: Going into the age of digital, paperless is becoming bigger as more people are liking it. Digital currencies do not need a reason to be with paper as everything is done on your phone or computer.
- Irreversible Transactions: Some people think irreversible transactions is a bad thing but there are ways to go around it. For sellers, it is a great idea because people cannot make unnecessary chargebacks as we see it being done on sites like eBay and Amazon. To make sure you’re not sending it to the wrong address, always send a minimal amount to the hash address to make sure it is correct.
- Appreciating Asset: With the way things are going, it seems like Bitcoin can’t keep going up forever. To be frank, not everything will go up forever. However, the difference between fiat and Bitcoin is that the government keeps printing more money while Bitcoin has a set amount that there will ever be which is 21 million total coins.
How to Buy Bitcoin
Coinbase: The biggest and most well-known exchange is Coinbase. Started and lead by Brian Armstrong, Coinbase has over 12 million customers served in over 32 countries. Coinbase only supports three cryptocurrencies recently which are Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. It is for the best to keep it at a minimum because these 3 coins have the best future value.
NoFiat App: NoFiat is an app to increase mass adoption in cryptocurrencies. Many people are holding their Bitcoins, scared to spend it. In order for more people to get into it and have vendors accept it, people need to spend it. NoFiat is a directory with a list of vendors that accept cryptocurrencies. However, it has an interesting aspect to it where you can price out the different prices that exchanges are selling or buying Bitcoins at. Exchanges work off fees and price arbitrage so every exchange will have different prices. Using this app can help you find where you can buy Bitcoin at the lowest price.
LocalBitcoins: Another great way to purchase your Bitcoins is through a website, LocalBitcoins. You can find someone close to you who is willing to sell their coins. Contact them and you can negotiate price. It is the best way to purchase it in person.
Steps to Purchasing Bitcoin
First and foremost, you need a Bitcoin wallet. As you can guess, this is also tangible and is either on your computer or phone. You can also have a hardware wallet. The wallet will have the ability to store, send or receive your cryptocurrencies. When you have found one that you like, go ahead and pick an exchange to buy your Bitcoins from.
Coinbase is the easiest to start with. You simply create an account and put your bank account or credit card information in. Once you do that, you can head over and purchase. In the beginning, there will be a limit on how much you can buy which is a good security measure. When you purchase and get them all into your account, go ahead and send it to a wallet of your choice. Having a wallet makes you the bank of your own coins. bitcoin for dummies
I hope you liked my simple and easy to follow bitcoin for dummies guide. Now the real question is, will you invest in bitcoin?
Want Free Money?
The Best Apps to Save You Real Money
We are on our phone a lot, right? Wouldn't it make sense to save money with the best money saving apps?
|App||At a glance||download|
Get a $100 bonus at Aspiration when you open and fund an account with $10 or more. Then use your Aspiration debit card to make at least $1,000 worth of cumulative transactions within 60 days of account opening.
|CLAIM $100 BONUS|
Open a new account in the next 24 hours and you could get up to $200 in free stock.
|CLAIM FREE STOCK|
This free app delivers on its promise to save you money effortlessly. You can use it to lower your bills, cancel unwanted subscriptions and bill negotiations.
|SLASH YOUR BILLS|
Games That Pay You To Play - Yes, We're Serious
These 3 apps will PAY YOU to play games on your mobile device: