Do your coworkers or friends all talk about their investment portfolios? You’ve been meaning to get in the stock game, but how do you start if you don’t have a big wad of cash to invest?
We’ve got your answer. We put together our best investment apps of 2022, the best part is that you can start investing without risking big bucks.
The sooner you start investing, the sooner your money can start to grow toward your goals.
Here are the Best Investment Apps
- Robinhood – Best for commission-free trades
- Acorns – Best micro-investing app
- Stash – Best for beginners who desire automatic investing
- M1 Finance – Best for expert-curated portfolios
- Fundrise – Best for next-level diversification
- Wealthsimple – Best for low-fee funds
1. Robinhood: Best for Commission-Free Trades
Robinhood easily allows you to invest in companies you love, commission-free. And I really mean free, free to buy and sell stocks and no account minimums.
Robinhood allows users to make free stock trades with $0 transaction fees.
- Finance explained – Robinhood will help you better understand financial markets so you can invest in funds, stocks, and options, all commission-free.
- Trading tools – Before buying a stock, ETF, or cryptocurrency, you can access real-time market data, see analyst ratings, read relevant news articles, and get notified about important events.
- Secure and trusted – Your security is a priority. Robinhood uses cutting-edge security measures to help protect investor assets and personal information.
Robinhood is one of the best investments app for beginners and also one of the best places to buy Bitcoin.
Robinhood is a top investing app since it offers an easy-to-use platform for beginners to start investing in the stock market and in cryptocurrencies.
The recent Gamestop craze has made investing popular and anyone with $100 to their name wants to get started investing.
Usually, it would be a long and tedious process to join a brokerage and figure out how to buy the latest popular stocks but not with Robinhood.
You can get started in minutes and start trading, investing and learning about stocks all for free.
Using Robinhood makes it simple to purchase stocks, buy options, buy cryptocurrencies, get news and alerts, create a watchlist, and all commission-free.
If you use a broker like Fidelity, they still charge you fees for buying and selling options — on Robinhood, it’s completely free.
The signup process is easy but you’ll likely want to sign up and claim a free stock.
2. Acorns: Best Micro-Investing App
The Acorns app easily allows you to invest your spare change automatically.
Once you connect the app to a debit or credit card, it rounds up your purchases to the nearest dollar and funnels your digital change into an investment account.
Your savings can actually make you money, and you can even get started with a $10 bonus through this link.
- Invest for your future – Invest spare change with automatic Round-Ups and set it and forget it with Recurring Investments. Your money is automatically invested into a diversified, ETF portfolios, built by experts.
- Invest for retirement – Save for retirement with easy IRA options, featuring SEP, Traditional, & Roth plans. In under 2 minutes, Acorns will recommend the right plan for you.
- Invest for your kids – Get one of the best debit card for kids with Acorns Early, an investment account for kids. Invest automatically into a diversified, ETF portfolio, built by experts.
- Bank smarter – The only checking account and heavy metal debit card that invests when you spend & automatically invests a portion of every paycheck.
- Earn rewards – Shop 12,000+ brands that invest in you, search millions of jobs in the Job Finder, and earn exciting referral bonuses. The more you earn, the more you can save and invest!
Acorns is the best micro-investing app for beginners who are eager to start investing but don’t have a ton of money to invest. It has no minimum balance and is a great choice for those who want an easy investing platform with a ton of features to utilize and benefit from.
The Acorns investing app is just $1, $3, or $5 per month. No surprise fees, just surprise upgrades.
Or the app is free for college students or if you are under 24 years old.
Join almost 4,000,000 people saving and investing every day in a portfolio based on personalized income and goals and get a $10 welcome bonus.
Acorns is your guide to financial wellness. They’ll help you invest, save and spend smarter starting at just $1 per month. There’s no catch. With Acorns, you will be investing without even knowing it just by rounding up your purchases. Let your money make you money.
3. Stash: Best for Beginners Who Desire Automatic Investing Options
Stash is a personal finance app that simplifies investing, making it easy and affordable for everyday Americans to build wealth and achieve their financial goals.
Stash was built with a simple philosophy: everyone should have access to investing.
Thanks to fractional shares, anyone can invest in the stock market with $5 or less.
And along with other investing and saving tools, like the Stock-Back Card®1, Stash helps more than 5 million people reach their financial goals.
- Investing – Invest what you can afford. With fractional shares, you can choose how much to invest. Choose from thousands of stocks and ETFs.
- Stock-back card – Invest as you spend. When you use the Stock-Back® Card, we’ll give you stock in well-known brands.
- Banking – Invest in your goals. Stash can help you save money and avoid bank fees.
- Retirement – Invest in your future. Stash can help you plan and save for a secure retirement.
- Family – Invest in your children. Help the ones you love most with children’s investment accounts.
- Advice – Invest in your knowledge. Get personalized investing guidance and financial education.
Stash is best for those who want automatic investments. It is a personal finance app that makes investing easy and affordable for millions of Americans.
By combining banking and investing in one app, Stash offers a debit card that helps you hit your financial goals, and investing tools that help you plan for your future.
Stash offers three easy plans for long-term investing, starting at just $1/month.
You can get $5 from Stash once you deposit $5 into your Invest Account through this link.
4. M1 Finance: Best for Expert Curated Portfolios
The M1 Finance investing app is very easy to use, and is a free way to invest.
Just pick your investments, and let M1’s Intelligent Automation do the rest. No fees or commissions, ever.
Combining the best of both worlds – traditional investment brokerage accounts with robo-advisors, M1 Finance is one of the best investment apps we’ve reviewed.
The only significant negatives are that it does not allow the option to invest in mutual funds or any tax-loss harvesting.
But the platform allows users to create and automate a custom portfolio so they can invest exactly how they want and build wealth with ease.
M1 empowers users to save time, earn more, and invest with confidence.
- Invest smart – You’re in the driver’s seat. Create your portfolio with any stock and/or ETF, for free, and use our intelligent automation tools to invest on a schedule, rebalance with one click, and more.
- Smart transfers – Goodbye manual calculations. Now, you can build a system of automated rules that lets you organize your transactions with just a few clicks. Your money will move between your M1 accounts automatically, so you can optimize your investing, borrowing, and spending.
- Borrow for less – Borrow money at just 2-3.5% and use it for whatever you want: more buying power, emergencies, large purchases, you choose. Unlock this flexible portfolio line of credit with just $5,000 invested.
- Spend – Access your money instantly and move money between investments seamlessly with your M1 checking account.
M1 Finance is best for those who want to invest, borrow, and spend, all in one place.
M1 Finance is free to enjoy, however, you can upgrade M1 Plus ($125/year) for perks:
- 1% APY* checking (that’s 33x the national average APY for a checking account)
- 1% cash back on M1 Plus Visa™ debit card purchases
- 1.50% reduction on M1 Borrow base rate
- Unlock a second daily trading window for more control over your investments
- Get access to Smart Transfers
Fund your account with $1,000+ and get a $30 bonus. It’s that easy.
6. Fundrise: Best for Next-Level Diversification
Fundrise makes investing in real estate simple, efficient, and transparent. Real estate investing has powered the growth of the world’s largest investment portfolios for decades.
Now it can power yours by using real estate investing apps.
With Fundrise, you can invest your money in a portfolio filled with real estate investments carefully selected and proactively developed with the goal of maximizing returns pursuant to your chosen investment strategy.
- Invest in something real – Private real estate offers the unique potential to earn consistent cash flow through income and long-term growth through appreciation. Fundrise has acquired and actively managed more than 300 assets, collectively worth more than $4.9 billion, on behalf of Fundrise investors.
- Flexible investment minimums – Unlike most private real estate investments, its low investment minimum of only $500 gives you the flexibility to invest the right amount of money for you, on your schedule, to meet your financial goals.
- Maximize returns with a low-fee approach – Fees matter. That’s why its proprietary technology and unique low-fee model are designed to ensure you keep more of what you earn.
- Next-level diversification – They believe that smart diversification is critical to long-term wealth creation and preservation. We make it easy to diversify beyond stocks and bonds, outside the stock market. Diversifying is simple and helps you minimize asset correlation and portfolio risk as your investment portfolio gains immediate exposure to dozens of high-quality private market assets.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could invest in commercial real estate and apartments without dealing with all the hassle of buying, improving, and re-selling real estate?
You don’t have to be a millionaire to invest in these types of properties. You can now invest in large-scale real estate for as little as $500 with apps like Fundrise.
Through their real estate investment products, investors earned an average of 8.7 – 12.4 percent on their money last year, and all without painting a wall or dealing with unruly tenants.
There is a reason why they currently have over 200,000+ users, this real estate investing app really pays you.
The funds in Fundrise’s standard portfolios pay a 0.85% annual asset management fee. In addition, investors pay a 0.15% annual investment advisory fee.
Non-accredited investors can invest in real estate with as little as $500.
6. Wealthsimple: Best for Low-Fee Funds
Wealthsimple is the smart and simple way to invest in the future you. They use a Nobel Prize-winning approach to build you a diversified portfolio of low-fee funds in minutes.
They use low-cost index fees and smart technology to keep your investment costs low.
Instead of trying to beat the market, they invest in the market as a whole.
This diversification allows you to avoid putting all your eggs into one stock and can smooth out your returns and minimize your losses.
A lot of people try to time the market and end up losing a lot of money.
Wealthsimple makes investing easy. We are proud to recommend Wealthsimple as one of the best investment apps.
- $0 account minimums – Begin with as little or as much as you want. The earlier you start, the more your money grows.
- Get real human advice – Wealthsimple has smart financial advisors ready to help you. You can schedule a portfolio review, ask an account question, or get advice when you need it. And its money experts have a fiduciary responsibility to give advice that’s in your best interest.
- Invest your spare change – The Roundup feature turns your everyday purchases into smart investments. When you link your credit and debit charges, the investing app will round up to the nearest dollar and put your spare change to work. So your $3.30 cappuccino becomes an automatic $0.70 investment. Like magic!
- Socially responsible investing – By investing in socially responsible initiatives across the globe, you can have a well-diversified portfolio that helps build the world you want.
Wealthsimple is best for those who want a low-fee, personalized investment portfolio designed for your financial goals — built in under 5 minutes for you.
Low-fee ETFs and smart technology keep costs low: 0.5% for accounts under $100k; 0.4% for accounts over $100k. And stay on track for your goals with automated deposits, dividend reinvesting, and portfolio rebalancing.
My Millennial Guide readers get $10,000 managed for free for one year when they invest with Wealthsimple for the first time.
What About Micro Investing Apps?
Micro investment platforms aim to assist everyday consumers with making a habit of saving money in a ‘painless’ way, also to attempt getting the best returns on investment in the open market.
To sum it up, they allow you to save and invest money in small amounts. These types of apps make it easier for some people to save money automatically then invest it.
They typically work by connecting a credit or debit card, then a micro investing app rounds up your purchase to the dollar or makes automatic transfers for you.
Typically, the platforms provide a combination of online savings tools and trackers, investment opportunities in financial and real estate markets with no or low minimum amount requirements, also investment education, support, and advice.
Micro investing apps allow you to invest that extra cash in stocks. Most either charge fees on trades or offer free trades until your account reaches a certain amount, like $5,000. Some examples of investing apps are platforms like Acorns, Qapital, M1 Finance and Webull, or you can just see the full list here.
Paid non-client endorsement. See Apple App Store and Google Play reviews. View important disclosures.
Investment advisory services offered by Stash Investments LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser. Investing involves risk and investments may lose value.
Fractional shares start at $0.05 for investments that cost $1,000+ per share.
This is not an endorsement or a statement of satisfaction by any Stash client.
Stash Subscription fee starts at $1/ month. You’ll also bear the standard fees and expenses reflected in the pricing of the ETFs in your account, plus fees for various ancillary services charged by Stash and the Custodian. Please see the Advisory Agreement for details. Other fees apply to the bank account. Please see the Deposit Account Agreement.
1 All rewards earned through use of the Stash Visa Debit card (Stock-Back® Card) will be fulfilled by Stash Investments LLC. Rewards will go to your Stash personal investment account, which is not FDIC insured. You will bear the standard fees and expenses reflected in the pricing of the investments that you earn, plus fees for various ancillary services charged by Stash. Stash Stock-Back® Rewards is not sponsored or endorsed by Green Dot Bank, Green Dot Corporation, Visa U.S.A., or any of their respective affiliates.
2 Offer is subject to Terms and Conditions. To be eligible to participate in this Promotion and receive the Bonus, you must complete the following steps: (i) successfully complete the designated registration process of opening an individual taxable brokerage account advised by Stash Investments LLC that is in good standing (a “Personal Portfolio”), as displayed by the interactive instructions shown via the Stash platform, (ii) link a funding account (e.g. an external bank account) to your Personal Portfolio, AND (iii) initiate and complete a minimum deposit of at least five dollars ($5.00) into your Personal Portfolio. For purposes of this Promotion, a deposit of funds shall be considered complete once the transaction has fully settled in your Personal Portfolio. If you satisfy the conditions stated herein, Stash will make a one-time deposit of funds into the cash balance of your Personal Portfolio in an amount equal to the amount specified in your offer to participate in this Promotion (“Bonus Funds”).