Did you know that there are states with free land?
Since the implementation of the Homestead Act in 1862, the US has been providing land for construction of homes and operation of farms to homesteaders.
Though the act is no longer operational to get free government land for homesteading in 2024, many rural regions and counties in the US are offering free land to improve economic activity and business sentiment.
Each state has its own requirements but you still have options if you want free land in the US.
What States Offer Free Land?
We already covered ways to get free money, but now are you wondering where you can receive free land? Here are 15 places in the US giving out free land and allow homesteading.
- Summary: To get a free home, you are required to start the building process in 120 days of the allocation of land and at least 1000 sq. ft. should be completed in 12 months to meet the design standards of residences.
- How to apply: https://www.marquettekansas.com
Marquette, Kansas, presents a unique opportunity for families looking to build a new home: free building lots are available in the Westridge Addition, a picturesque development on the town's west side. These lots, varying in size from 11,000 to 25,000 square feet, offer ample space for constructing your dream home. However, there is a stipulation: construction must be completed within a year.
Nestled in the heart of America, Marquette is a hidden gem in Kansas, boasting a tranquil environment perfect for family living. The town is renowned for its exceptional safety and order, coupled with a strong education system, making it an ideal place to raise children. Beyond its community attributes, Marquette is surrounded by beautiful rolling fields, offering expansive views of breathtaking sunsets.
This serene town is not just about picturesque landscapes; it's also home to the new Westridge addition, a development that blends modern living with a rustic charm. This family-friendly environment is an attractive option for those seeking a peaceful lifestyle.
Interested in acquiring a piece of this American dream for free? Visit Marquette's website to discover more about this remarkable offer and learn how you can secure your own slice of land in the United States.
- Summary: On the back of their plummeting population, Marne is providing free land to get more residents in the South-western region of Iowa.
- How to apply: https://marneiowa.com/
Marne, Iowa offers free land to anyone who is willing to build a home on the land.
Marne is a small town with a population of around 120. It's located about an hour outside of Omaha, Nebraska. Due to a huge decrease in the quantity of family-possessed homesteads in the southwestern district of Iowa, the little town of Marne endured a sensational decrease in its population.
Wanting to catch more occupants once more, this town is giving ceaselessly delightful parts loaded up with shady trees and green grass. The program has been running for at least a decade.
In case you are keen on applying for a case of homesteading land for nothing, applicants must:
- Submit a proposed floor plan for the house they want to build
- Build a home that's at least 1,200 square feet
- Not build a trailer home
- Not have horses or livestock
New Richland, Minnesota
- Summary: This small town offers an 86X133 foot residential lot that is allocated for free land, which should be built in 12 months’ time.
- How to apply: https://www.cityofnewrichlandmn.com/index.asp?SEC=E4182CA2-FBE7-4271-89BD-2907B9067956
There are a lot of fun exercises to do in the community of New Richland, Minnesota. It has a rambling fairway, a bicycle trail, and a huge lake. What's more, obviously, it has a magnificent secondary school football program. Therefore, in case you are the outdoorsy sort, you will adore this spot. One of the conditions to snatch this free part is to build a home under a year from the time you get access to the land.
- Summary: Beatrice has its own Free land act called the Homestead Act, 2010. Here, you can obtain free land and build your house on real property after following certain specific conditions. This act replaces the inoperative Homestead Act of 1862.
- How to apply: https://www.beatrice.ne.gov
Did you know the City of Beatrice has its very own rendition of the Homestead Act of 1862? Appropriately called the Homestead Act of 2010, this law is a substitution of the out of commission homesteading land enactment. As per Beatrice's law, you can get free land as long as you build your home on a genuine property, following certain conditions. Beatrice is a delightful city. Because of the facelift it got, the city is currently well lit up with sufficient streetlights. New seats were likewise set up in the recreation center. Furthermore, the bloom gardens, look quite exquisite. Only 40 miles south of Lincoln, Nebraska, this tranquil little city has a population of over 12,000 people.
- Summary: This city in Colorado has allocated around 480 free acreage lots for business and commercial purposes. The free land program comprises of allocation of land provision based on the number of jobs the commercial entity it will create for the population of around 650 people.
- How to apply: https://flaglercolorado.com/freeland/
East of Denver is where you'll find Flagler. This excellent town has great schools and a tranquil neighborhood. Under its free land program, there is an assignment of 480 sections of land for organizations to set up their shops. The measure of land that you can get will rely upon the quantity of employment you can accommodate the people in Flagler.
La Villa, Texas
- Summary: The city of La Villa is providing free land of 91 plots for the development of a residential property. Despite the land being free, you will have to pay respective property taxes for the land. A 5-year lease is associated with the land wherein if you plan to sell the land within the lease period, you will pay the local government a certain amount.
- How to apply: Contact South Texas Economic Development Corp. at 956-969-3024
This town is located in the southern part of Texas which offers some of the most profitable small business ventures. It is offering 91 plots of land for private improvement. The land is given away at zero cost. Nevertheless, you have to pay the comparing property charges. Moreover, a five-year deal connects with this lot. If you sell the property inside that period, you will owe the nearby government a specific sum, which is typically equal to the estimation of the property. To appreciate this benefit, La Villa has certain pay necessities for forthcoming beneficiaries. Need to find more about this program? Connect with the South Texas Economic Development Corp. at 956-969-3024.
- Summary: In order to grow its community of around 2000, Plainville is offering free land of around 155 foot (wide) x 93 foot (deep) lots. There are certain rules pertaining to the local council which needs to be approved during the application process.
- How to apply: http://rookscounty.net/free_homesites
Did you see Kansas continues to be in the list all the way long? Arranged in Rooks County, the City of Plainville has a population of 2,000 and is hoping to develop more. Therefore, it is offering land inside its domain. The offered lot is 155 feet wide by 93 feet down. To get a hold of the land, you have to make a $500 store. Also, much the same as the City of Osborne, Plainville will restore the sum once the lot is passed on to you. For the basic prerequisites of your home, Plainville does not permit manufactured houses. All homes must be well established. The development should be finished within a year and a half from the time the responsibility of the land is given over to you.
08/2021 Update: Agate, Colorado is not be offering free lots as of this update.
Summary: The city is providing free lots of its 60-acre land. The opportunity is given to people who are willing to grow farms and livestock. Despite the land being free, a share of crops or earnings thereof needs to be donated to the Meadowlark Cooperative and you have to pay for the construction cost of the home.
Did you realize this town is giving out packages of its 60-section of land property? Of the individuals who grabbed the chance to possess free land, a large number of them utilized it to raise domesticated animals and develop crops. The lot is free. In any case, you should pay the expense of your home's development. If you are looking for a comfortable home in a calm environment, you should look at this program.
- Summary: The city has a free home site program providing free land within city premises near Baseball Park, golf course, and major shopping centers.
- How to apply: http://www.lincolnks.org/Housing.html
- Summary: This big city provides free industrial and commercial park property for businesses in the Michigan Renaissance Zones. The area provides facilities like lower rates of electricity and water, tax benefits, among others.
- How to apply: https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2010/08/land_giveaway_part_of_city_of.html
Buffalo, New York
- Summary: Did you think you would see the state of New York on this list? I sure didn't, but the city provides an Urban Homestead Program, wherein the land is offered at a meager rate of one dollar. The program provides options for land and built homes.
- How to apply: https://www.buffalony.gov/306/Urban-Homestead-Program
In case you don’t know, there is a homestead landing program in Buffalo, through which you can get land, free of cost! Properties that are within designated Urban Renewal Areas are eligible for inclusion in the Urban Homestead Program at the sole discretion of the Office of Strategic Planning, with conditions: the property shouldn't be needed for public purposes and no qualified buyer is attempting to purchase the property. Applicants can acquire property in these areas for one dollar ($1), plus the required closing costs.
- Summary: You can get a free land by depositing USD 500 which is returned post completion of construction. You must begin the construction process in 12 months from the date of allocation, and move in within 24 months’ time.
- How to apply: https://www.discoverosborne.com/business-incentives/
- Summary: The city is offering free land lots for residential property construction is no less than 1200 sq. ft. The construction should begin in 6 months from the time of allocation.
- How to apply: https://www.mankatoks.com/free-land
The City of Mankato, located in Jewell County in north central Kansas, is offering free lots for the construction of new homes. The Johnson addition housing lots will give people a chance to build a home and live in a small-town atmosphere. Mankato is a city of just over 900 people in a county that has a population of around 3000 people. The major industry in the area is agriculture, health care, and outdoor hunting and fishing.
There are currently 26 lots available in the Johnson addition on a beautiful horseshoe shaped drive on the east side of the community. The lots are close to a high school, hospital, steak house, motel, and 1/2 mile from the shopping center of the community. All utilities are at or near the lots. There are no assessments against the lots at this time.
Loup City, Nebraska
- Summary: To get free land in Loup City, you need to make a deposit. However, the deposit is returned once the construction of the home is finished.
- How to apply: http://www.loupcity.com/business/housing/john-subdivision/
The number of inhabitants in Loup City is expanding gradually. Given this issue, the government is attempting to lure more young individuals to come and occupy the free parts of the city. Thinking about what is in store for you at this place? Arranged west of Omaha, Loup City has a nine-opening fairway and lakes. The sub-division where the offered parts are found has the essential comforts. All the offered parts are free.
- Summary: In order to get free land under Claremont’s homesteading program, the gross annual income of the family of two should be less than USD 84,200, or a family of three should be less than USD 96,830.
- How to apply: https://www.claremontmn.com/
In the event that you qualify under its gross salary necessity, you may apply for a case of free plots in Claremont. Under its homesteading area program, you have to have a gross salary of underneath $84,200, along with the condition that you are a family of two (or less). For groups of at least three, the gross salary ought to be under $96,830.
40 States Without Free Land
These are the states that do not offer free land:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington State
- West Virginia
- District of Columbia (DC)
Certain states offer free land programs to attract new residents. The program generally provides a lot of land for homesteading in an effort to encourage economic growth in less populated areas.
If you want to find free land, then the top states that offer free land include Kansas, Minnesota, and Nebraska. Some restrictions typically apply, such as building a home within a certain time frame or using the land for agricultural purposes.
Generally, small towns or counties in these states will have the best availability of free land. This is because they are trying to increase their population and jumpstart their economy. So if you're looking for a place to start a new life, one of these states could be the perfect fit for you.
While there is such a thing as “free” land, there are also definitely states where you can find cheap land. This is often land that is less developed or in a remote location.
Some states with cheap land include Alaska, Arkansas, Montana, and North Dakota. Prices will vary depending on the size and location of the property, but you can typically find good deals in these states.
Again, restrictions may apply when purchasing cheap land. For example, you may have to pay taxes on the property or develop it within a certain time frame. But if you're willing to put in some work, buying cheap land can be a great way to get a lot of space for a relatively small investment.
There are a few states that offer programs to help residents with the cost of housing. For example, the state of Maine has a program called “Housing Choice Vouchers” which helps low-income families afford rent.
There are also a few cities in the U.S. that have programs to provide free or reduced-cost housing.
Finally, there are a few religious organizations that offer free or reduced-cost housing for people in need. For example, the Catholic Charity USA provides housing assistance to low-income families and individuals across the country.
Getting your own house or a piece of land in one of the most developed countries around the world can be a pretty difficult task to accomplish. However, if you are looking out for free land in the United States, you cannot miss out on this article for sure. Also, I hope that you learned more about the Homestead Act of 1862. The Homestead Act was a law that gave free land to any individual who will move to the west for a long time. The last guarantee of this law was affirmed in 1988.
Many popular cities come under this act, you can budget out your next house out of the cities given below. However, every city has its own requirements, which need to be fulfilled, in order to gain the land under the Homestead Act.