In this post I explain how to start a blog. If you use my link to sign up you will not only receive the lowest possible price on Bluehost hosting, but you will also receive a FREE domain name.
I regularly check with a contact from Bluehost to ensure this post always has the lowest possible price. Use this link to start a blog on WordPress and follow the tutorial below to get started.
So you’re interested in how to start a blog? I’m thrilled you are here! I created this blog, My Millennial Guide (Formerly Millennial Money Guide) earlier this year, while having no prior experience building websites whatsoever. It is possible to build websites as a beginner and pretty manageable. So since you are here, odds are that you want to create your own website or blog. I’ll go through the steps and it’s really simple and will take you 15 minutes to complete the process. I use a WordPress site on Blue Host and it’s really simple to set up even for beginners.
Why You Should Start a Blog (Even If You’re Not a Writer)
- Make money while working from home. I started blogging in the beginning of 2016 and I can tell you first hand it is very possible to make money online. So many bloggers do it as their full-time job! So why not give a shot? I started this blog 11 months ago and have put in hard work to get my site to where it is at today. I am still learning every day but it’s really no risk at all and I enjoy doing it.
- Get more exposure for your existing business. A blog gives anyone, from individuals, Instagram fitness models, YouTubers, entrepreneurs, startup companies, or even large companies, the ability to reach a large number of people at very little cost. It’s really easy to get your message out to a lot of people!
- Just write. Having to sit down once a day or a week (or at whatever frequency you do it) and write is an important skill. It forces you to learn the difficult lesson that some of the best things in life happen as a result of delayed gratification. Writing is one of those things, but there are others.
Do you see yourself in any of those? Can you see how you would benefit from a blog? Let’s get you up and running.
The following steps outline exactly how I built my blog, Millennial Money Guide. This guide will help you get started with your blog in less than 30 minutes.
When you’re done following these steps, you’ll have your self-hosted WordPress site.
- Purchase hosting
- Choose a domain
- Install WordPress
- Start using WordPress
Bluehost offers a free domain name – and the best possible price – when you register through my link.
If you want to start a blog that makes money you are going to want to start one on Bluehost. Bluehost offers many advantages, including:
- Extremely Affordable – by using my link you get hosting for just $2.95 per month, which is less than $36 a year.
- Free Domain Name – you will get a free domain name when you sign up for hosting on Bluehost using my link
- Extremely Easy WordPress Installation – Bluehost has a “one-click” WordPress installation
- 24/7 Tech Support – Bluehost tech support is available 24/7 and has been outstanding every time I’ve used them
- Attractive to Advertisers – having a self-hosted blog is attractive to advertisers and will make it easier to make money blogging
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee – if you cancel within 30 days you receive a full refund on your hosting service
- Extended Money Back Guarantee – if you cancel after 30 days you receive a prorated refund for the remainder of your hosting term
As you can see there are a ton of benefits of using BlueHost to start your blog. With their money-back guarantee, there is very little risk of starting a blog through BlueHost, and so much potential for making money blogging.
If you want to start a blog on BlueHost click here to get the lowest possible price and a free domain name and then follow through the rest of the tutorial.
How To Set Up A Self Hosted WordPress Blog
Step 1: Find A Host
What’s hosting? A host provides the server space for your site so others can find you on the internet. There are free service hosting sites out there, but I highly recommend you go for self-hosting. There’s just too many issues if and when your site becomes popular with non self-hosted sites. You should start out with a self-hosted site from the get go. You get what you pay for, and ultimately free isn’t always free when it comes to time and aggravation. You’ll thank me later that you started out on the right platform.
Start by heading over to BlueHost. I recommend that you get yourself a free domain through Blue Host when you use my exclusive link. (this link will open in a new window so you can reference these instructions). I can personally vouch for them as it is what I currently use to run this site and they have wonderful 24/7 customer service.
Click the green Get Started Now button.
Step 2: Select Your Plan
Choose the plan you’d like to start with; you can upgrade at any time. If you’re confused as to what might be the best plan for you, give them a call to discuss your options. When starting a new blog, I recommend the Plus plan because you get more unlimited features.
Step 3: Choose A Domain
Next, you need to select a domain name for your site. For example, my domain is https://www.mymillennialguide.com
If you already own a domain name, you can enter it here. You’ll have to go through a few extra steps to make sure you get your DNS pointed to Blue Host. If you don’t already have a domain name, you can purchase one from the sign-up process. The best part – it comes free with your new hosting account when you use my link.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Go with a .com whenever possible
- Make it easy to spell
- Make it easy to say
- Don’t include hyphens, numbers, obscure terms or confusing string of words
- When in doubt, use your name to start
- Be creative
If you’ve already registered a domain name elsewhere, enter it on the right. This won’t mess up anything if you’re using a domain already; this only identifies your account.
Click the blue Next button.
Step 4: Enter Your Account Information
On the next page, you’ll enter your contact information including your email address. The email you provide is where information will be sent to you regarding the set up of your account and your login information.
Step 5: Choosing A Hosting Package
Choose which hosting package you want. Normal, shared hosting is priced at 12, 24 and 36-month terms. To help save you money, the longer term you purchase, the lower the monthly rate will be. By choosing a 36-month hosting term, you can get the great introductory rate of $3.95/month. Because you’ve chosen to host with Blue Host, if you ever need more than a shared hosting account, Blue Host provides seamless upgrades to VPS or dedicated server hosting accounts from inside your control panel. You can always call them to discuss your particular website hosting needs.
Latest posts by Brian Meiggs (see all)
- Best Money Making Apps for 2018 - December 23, 2017
- Class Action Lawsuits, File Claim & Settlement Money – 2018 - November 30, 2017
- 10 Easy Ways to Save Money Today - November 24, 2017